The Ech-cheliff Cements and Derivatives Company is a SPA created by Decree No. 82/325 of October 30, 1982 following the restructuring of the National Construction Materials Company (SNMC).
It became an autonomous economic public enterprise by notarial deed of October 9, 1989. It was endowed with an initial share capital of 80 million DA held at:
- 40% by the Chemistry-Petrochemical-Pharmacy participation fund.
- 30% by the Mines-Hydrocarbons-Hydraulics participation fund.
- 30% by the Construction Participation Fund.
After the dissolution of the participation funds, the Public Holding "BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS" became the 100% owner of the company. The company's share capital is increased to 2,000,000,000 DA.
The restructuring carried out in 1999 transformed the public holding company "BMC" into a public holding company "Achievements and building materials" which in turn became the 100% owner of the company.
In 2000, the public holding company "RMC" was dissolved and was replaced by the management company "Groupement Industrie du Ciment d’Algerie" SGP GICA which became the exclusive owner of the company.
In 2003, the company's share capital was increased to 3,000,000,000 DA, 5,000,000,000 DA in 2005, and 6,241,000,000 DA in 2007.
In 2009, the investment management company "Groupement Industrie du Ciment d´Algérie" SGP GICA was restructured and transformed into the Industrial Group of Ciments of Algeria (GICA). ECDE has become a subsidiary of the GICA group.
ECDE was certified according to ISO 9001 version 2008 standards between 2003 and 2012.
The head office of ECDE is located at: Cité HAMMADIA, route d´Oran Chlef.
It is essentially made up of:
- The Oued Sly cement plant with a contractual capacity of four (04) million tonnes of cement / year, or three (03) production lines,
- From the headquarters of the General Management,
- Buildings and land from the Sidi Laroussi, Bouzghaia, Maameria and Sidi Della quarries.
- Land and premises of the former SNVI ZI of Oued Sly,
- From the site of the former Techno Béton ZI of Oued Sly,
- Cement sales depots in Oued Smar, Tamanrasset, In Salah and Timimoun.
Its main activity is the manufacture and marketing of Cement CEM II / A - L 42.5 N, CEM II / A - L 42.5 R, CEM II / B - L 32.5 N, CEM I 52.5 N , CEM I 42.5 N and CEM I 42.5 N-SR5.
Covering an area of approximately 40 ha, the Oued Sly cement plant, the company's sole unit, occupies the entire western part of the Oued Sly industrial zone.
- Clinker: 1,880,000 T / year
- Cement: 2,000,000 T / year
These capacities are spread over two identical production lines with a unit capacity of
1,000,000 T / Year.
The 3rd production line with 2,000,000 T / year.
With reserves estimated (updated) at 120,000,000 tonnes corresponding to 50 years of operation at full capacity, the limestone quarry is located 3 km from the plant. An extension for an autonomy that can exceed 100 years.
The limestone rock is quarried with excavating shovels and blasting is mixed with clay; the mixture is crushed and finally transported to the plant using a conveyor belt.
The company has a sand deposit located in the Sidi-Della region about thirty kilometers from the factory; this deposit offers a significant capacity estimated at 4,800,000 tonnes and an operating life of 40 years.
Located 6 km from the factory in Maameria, the clay quarry has a capacity of 21,200,000 tonnes, thus ensuring that the company can operate for around 60 years. The extracted clay is transported to the limestone quarry where it is mixed with the limestone. The extraction and transport of the clay is ensured by subcontracting.
The gypsum quarry is located 35 km from the plant and offers reserves estimated at 6,500,000 tonnes or more than 80 years of operation on the basis of a production of 2,000,000 tonnes of cement.
Within the plant, all stages, from the transport of the raw material to the storage of the cement, are directed and monitored from a central control room and a second at the shipping level.
The computers constantly analyze the data transmitted by the sensors located at different points of the production unit. From the control room, 24/7, operators supervise all phases of production, from quarry to bagging.
Each failure or anomaly is indicated on screens to the operators.
The factory laboratory continuously ensures rigorous control of products throughout the manufacturing process.
The mastery of this mission and the satisfaction of regulatory requirements and customer requirements have been possible thanks to:
- The establishment of a product quality plan, allowing the planning of the various controls and sampling frequencies and the actions to be taken in the event of a deviation.
- The acquisition of a fleet of equipment and special devices meeting the standards and allowing the analyzes and tests required by the Algerian standard NA 442.
This equipment and devices are subject to verification and calibration annually by an organization specializing in metrology.
Also, and to better understand the fluctuations in the composition of the raw meal and the reduction in calorific consumption in cooking, the factory has recently started on-line analyzers for the control and automatic correction of the dosage of the raw meal.
All the procedures and devices with which the laboratory is equipped are run by qualified personnel to meet the requirements expected by customers through the delivery of fully compliant production.
Also, the analyzes are regularly monitored by a national laboratory accredited by CETIM Boumerdès for additional control.
The cement is stored in silos with a total capacity of:
- 140,000 tonnes for the three existing lines.
The cement manufacturing process used is the dry process.
Cement is shipped from the unit in: Bags of 50 kg, 25 kg and Bulk.
Transport is operated by:
- Road: Trucks (bag and bulk)
- Railroad: Wagons (bag and bulk).
The glue of ECDE has contributed to the realization of the following mega projects:
- More than 10,000 tonnes of cement were supplied by ECDE for the construction of the Kramis W. dam in Mostaganem.
- More than 320,000 tonnes were supplied for the realization of the EAST-WEST Motorway project.
- More than 94,000 tonnes were supplied for the construction of the Algiers Grand Mosque project.
- More than 127,000 tons were supplied for the realization of the project of doubling of the railway line EL AFROUNE - YELLEL.
Other projects have been carried out by Chlef cement:
- Headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Algiers).
- Tissemsilt dam
- Algiers metro.
- Wastewater treatment plant 30,000 m3 / d (W. Chlef)
- Sidi yacoub dam (W. Chlef).
- Gar Gar dam (W. Relizane)
- HOUARI BOUMEDIENE Algiers International Airport
- SIDAR Cheraga project
- DWS (Drinking Water Supply) projects
- CHLEF International Airport
- New CHLEF hospital
- KEF EDDIR dam (W. Tipaza)
- Construction of 35,000 RHP housing units in Algiers.
- Project for the doubling of the SIDI BELABBES - TLEMCEN railway line,
- Project to build the CHEFFA - BERROUAGUIA expressway,
- Construction project for the BARRAKI stadium,
- Project for the construction of the DOUIRA stadium,
As a major economic player in the ECH-CHELIFF region, ECDE actively contributes to the development and quality of life of the region.
The company's commitments in terms of environmental protection are part of an objective of sustainable development and sustainability, making it possible to systematize the continuity of the actions undertaken with a constant desire to improve environmental results while respecting the regulation and better management of our activities and practices.
It is in this capacity that we are committed to:
Set up an environmental management system in accordance with the ISO 14001: 2004 standard in order to equip ourselves with assessment, monitoring and control tools with a view to better control of our impact on the environment and preventing possible pollution risks.
- Raise awareness and train staff so as to instill an environmental culture and involve it in everyday work.
- Use in particular during replacement or improvement investments the best available and economically acceptable technologies.
- Encourage service providers, customers and suppliers to adopt rules of conduct favorable to a healthy environment.
- Complete a policy of redeveloping quarries and rehabilitating closed sites.
The ECDE has undertaken during the last decade a vast program of investment for the improvement and the protection of the environment, aiming at the same time to answer the requirements expressed by our customers and principals, and to respect the legislation on all questions relating to the Environment and Sustainable Development.
Main operations carried out in terms of environmental protection:
- Modernization of bag filters throughout the plant,
- Replacement of gravel filters with bag filters,
- Installation and commissioning of bag filters to replace the electrostatic precipitators at the 03 cement grinders and the Cru workshop.
- Reforestation of the Sidi Laroussi quarry (Plantation of 500 olive trees),
- Paving of tracks at the plant and quarry,
- Acquisition of various cleaning equipment and materials.
The installation of this equipment had a positive impact since it made it possible to reduce the rate of dust emission into the atmosphere, much lower than the Algerian standard in force which requires a value less than or equal to 30 mg / Nm3. .
Thus, the ECDE spent between 2000 and 2010 about 2 billion DA for the environment.
This new technology filtration system has had a positive impact on the environment of our company, as it has made it possible to:
- Significantly reduce the dust emission rate to <10 mg / m3, while the Algerian standard in force requires a value less than or equal to 30 mg / Nm3,
- Recover a large quantity of raw material (+ 15%),
- Achieve a good level of environmental performance;
- Save industrial water consumption after eliminating the conditioning tower, which has brought us a gain of 220m3 / day.
- Strengthen the confidence of our partners (customers, ordering parties, administrations, residents, insurers, etc.);
Quarry management and rehabilitation
A rehabilitation of the closed sites of the limestone quarry of Sidi Laroussi resulting in the Planting of 500 olive trees and more than 4,000 cypress and Aleppo pine trees was carried out in 2014, this operation aims at an ecological management of the quarry during the operation and the transformation of depleted areas into non-hilly and reforested areas in accordance with current mining and environmental regulations.
HEALTH AND SECURITY
The ECDE attaches particular importance to the health and safety of its workers. In terms of health, it has:
- A modern CMS for occupational medicine,
- A second fully equipped ambulance,
- An agreement with a laboratory for the medical assessment of each worker.
- In terms of safety, special attention has been paid to prevention:
- Training on the electrical authorization of technical staff in accordance with the regulations in force,
- Two fire fighting trucks are permanently stationed at the factory for any rapid intervention,
- Provision of personal protective equipment to staff.